Monday, September 13, 2010

Complex arguments for analysis

I'm on my way to school. I left five minutes late. Traffic is heavy. Therefore, I'll be late for class. So, I might as well stop and get breakfast.

Argument: Yes.
Conclusion:So I might as well stop and get breakfast.
Additional premises needed: I will be late for class if I am leaving for school five minutes late and traffic is heavy as well. Since I will already be late for class, I would rather be extra late or just miss class.
Identify any subargument: 1, 2 and 3 supports 4 and 4 supports the conclusion.
Good argument: It is a good argument if "I left five minutes late" is true, otherwise, the argument is weak.

The exercise was very useful. The exercise breaks down the argument making it much easier to understand. I think this exercise is another method that students can use when he or she is stuck with identifying each category. The usefulness of this exercise is also to help one think, analyze, regroup and come to a conclusion.

Blankcanvas

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. I thought I posted a comment already, but I guess I forgot to type in that code for it to be posted. I hope I can remember everything that I posted here.

    We used the same exercise as our first post! I like how you did your post more simple and clear than how I posted mine. Your post reminded me that I forgot to label the sentences as numbers, as the text instructed. That reminds me that I need to go back to my post and edit that part. It's interesting that we have the same opinions on how we think the exercise is useful for us to analyze the structure of the argument. It is a helpful tip on breaking down the parts to see if the argument is good or not. Good job on the post!

    ReplyDelete