Monday, October 4, 2010

Chapter 6: Compound Claims

I found many parts of chapter 6 interesting and useful. In the book, "Critical Thinking" by Richard L. Epstein, he explains compound claims. There are alternatives when looking at compound claims. Compound claims are claims that are composed of more than one claim, but the claim is viewed as just one. The claim is usually followed by the word "or". Epstein provides various examples of compound claims and explains ways we can reason with them. Another section that grabbed my interest was the alternatives. Epstein discusses the alternatives of a claim. As Epstein states, an alternative claim is parts of an "or" claim. Here are an example of each claim.

Example of compound claim:
Tomatoes are either a fruit or a vegetable.
Each is one claim, but is made up of two. Tomatoes are fruits. Tomatoes are vegetables.


Example of alternative claim:
You're either lying or telling the truth.
This provides two alternative.

Blankcanvas

1 comment:

  1. You did a nice job summarizing down the chapter in a simpler way and you have a creative mind for coming up with these good examples on your blog posts! After reading your post, your example reminded me of myself. I remember wondering about your example of tomatoes and asking around whether if they are really fruits or vegetables. I remember that I found my answer that it is a fruit, but now you’re making me search it up again to make sure! That was an excellent example of a compound claim because after searching up results, it is considered as a fruit or vegetable.

    ReplyDelete