Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Major Course Assignments

Our assignment, Critical Thinking in News and Politics and Critical Thinking and Social Organization both helped me learn how to locate, organize and interpret articles. Completing the assignment Critical Thinking in News and Politics helped me learn how to analyze an article. I broke down each paragraph by making side notes of how I interpreted the article and continued from there. I also learned how to understand and state the major claim. I was able to state its premises and determine whether the argument was strong, valid, weak or bad. With Critical Thinking and Social Organization, I learned how to state what type of reasoning the organization used and identify how the organization used concealed claims. Both Critical Thinking in News and Politics and Critical Thinking and Social Organizations improved my skills in communication. Working in a group was very useful and was very effective when everyone contributed ideas and effort.


Blankcanvas

3 comments:

  1. Blankcanvas-
    I totally agree with you; I felt the same exact way after posting my blog about this topic. This assignment made me realize how to efficiently analyze an article and understand the major point or points that are discussed within the article. I also liked how with this assignment, I was able to truly see a real life example of everything that we had learned so far in our class. I am glad that this assignment was very helpful because it reinforced all of the different concepts that I had learned in the previous weeks. Thanks for posting this blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Blankcanvas! In my opinion, I think assignment 1 wasn't as useful as assignment 2. Although I learned how to analyze an editorial, I don't feel like I was able to use the concepts that the textbook talked about for the assignment. But I agree that assignment 2 useful in helping us further our learning of the material. I was able to try and find fallacies in the organization's arguments and statements. It was interesting not only to read about the issues that the social organization stood for , but to look for things like what type of fallacies did the social organizations use, concealed claims etc.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you compared both of the assignments instead of just one. I posted on my blog that they weren't as useful as I think they could have been. But i'm glad to see that you found the assignments to be useful. I like how you said it improved your communication, because I don't feel that way. But it's good that you found something communication related that it really helped you with. all in all it's good to see what you learned and it's good to know that everybody is going through the same experiences as I am when it comes to these assignments.

    ReplyDelete