Monday, August 30, 2010

Subjective and Objective Claims

Subjective claims are statements that involve judgments, opinions and feelings. Subjective claims can be true or false only depending on one's beliefs or feelings. Objective claims are the opposite, they are not subjective. Objective claims are statements that can be proven true or false.

PlayStation 3 is a better console than Xbox 360
This statement is a subjective. PlayStation is a console, but having it being "better" is one's judgment, opinion or feelings towards the system. Many people may feel PlayStation 3's controllers and features are easier to use while many other people feel the same towards the Xbox 360. The statement includes one's opinion which makes it subjective.
PlayStation 3 is manufactured by Sony
This statement is objective. This statement is objective because it does not involve one's beliefs towards it and can be proven true or false. Sony manufactured PlayStation when it first came out and is still currently manufacturing PlayStation 2, 3, and PlayStation Portable. It's first console was first introduced on December 3, 1995 in Japan.

Blankcanvas

3 comments:

  1. Blankcanvas-
    I really enjoyed your answer to this question. When I was trying to answer my question, I had some difficulty trying to come up with a particular scenario that was going on in my life to relate it to. I must say that after reading yours, everything became much clearer! I was able to remember how a few days ago, I was speaking to my friend about an event we are planning and how it would be a perfect example. I appreciate how you related it to PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 because it made everything much clearer even though I'm not as familiar with the consoles as others might be. Thanks for your help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely relate to this blog. I like your responses to the questions. I feel as if i am constantly in the argument of is Xbox better than PS3. I can remember every time in fact. And the fact that one cannot definitely which is better by scientific standards, it is true to say that PS3 is definitely made my Sony, and Xbox is made by Microsoft!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Blankcanvas! Your definitions of subjective and objective statements were very clear and easy to understand. I agree with your first example of a subjective statement because you are correct that "Playstation 3 is a better console than Xbox360," is a subjective statement because it is based one ones opinion. Two people can debate over this claim and you cannot prove it to be true or false. I like your second example of a objective statement as well because its true that objective statements are based on facts rather than opinion. Someone cannot argue that "Playstation 3 was manufactured by Sony."

    ReplyDelete