Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Vague sentence


On a typical no class Friday, my friend Sarah and I hang out to catch up on what has been happening during the week since we attend different colleges. While we were updating each other on school related matter, I told her I needed to go to Target to buy some more notebooks for school. She replies, "You should buy some at Wal-Mart, notebooks are cheaper at Wal-Mart than at Target." This sentence was apparently vague. She didn't mention what kind of notebooks. Notebooks not only come in different brands, but have a different number of subjects in each notebook. If she were to say, "Five Star notebooks are cheaper at Wal-Mart than at Target" or "Five Star five subject notebooks are cheaper at Wal-Mart than at Target", it would not be considered vague because it is made clear and does not have different ways to understand it that cannot be settled on one.

Blankcanvas

1 comment:

  1. I like how you used the example of comparing prices of two major retail stores, Wal-Mart and Target. It reminds me of myself because I also compare prices between those two stores for a bargain. :) Sometimes, many things we say appear to be vague, but we don't notice it until we actually think it over. It’s a smart thing for us college students to compare prices, so we can set our budget aside. Either way, I think they’re either the same, Wal-Mart or Target, since they are competitive. It’s interesting how your example can relate to the subject of economics as well on comparison of prices.

    ReplyDelete