Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Appeals to Emotion

In the book, "Critical Thinking" by Richard L. Epstein, he discusses the different types of appeals to emotion.  Epstein mentions that emotions do play a role on reasoning in an arguments, but that it does not mean that emotions should not be all in an argument. As Epstein states, An appeal to emotion is a premise said in a certain tone to convince others to believe you feel a certain way. The different types of appeals Epstein mentions are, the appeal to pity, appeal to fear, appeal to spite and appeal to vanity. The appeal that stood out to me most was an argument that call in your debts appeal. Call in your debts is the opposite of spite appeal. This appeal grabbed my interest most because I have encountered situations like it various times. Someone believing you owe them something because they did you a favor. My sisters tend to be this way a lot. For example, "Can you wash my clothes for me since I'm is fixing your car?" She is asking me to do something for her, owing her a favor because she did me a favor.

Blankcanvas

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I can definitely relate to how you feel about the appeal to call in your debts. My friend thinks that because she picks me up on occasion, I'm already obligated to pay for her gas when really, I thought she was just doing me small favors. I really didn't think anything of it until she began to say things like, "Yeah, since I picked you up last time, you should pay for the gas for next time we go out" or whatever. It gets irritating because things that you think friends do out of the goodness of their hearts always have a catch. Having others do favors for you already obligates you to do things for them. That's why I like doing things on my own and I never rely on others. Sometimes, it seems that when you do things for others, they automatically expect you to do things for them without questions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure many of us can relate to an appeal to call in your debts and it's not just in our family. It can apply to friends and co-workers as well, but I guess that would be considered fair. It happens in many situations, but some of us aren't aware that it's an appeal to call in your debts. If we don't mention anything about calling in our debts, then people would continue to probably take advantage of it. Sometimes, I think it's hard for me to ask for something in return because I don't want people to think that it's a must. As a courtesy, I think many of us should be aware to give and return.

    ReplyDelete